Saturday, April 11, 2020

And it's April...

This is my April calendar.  No track.  No theatre. No academic competitions.  No youth group.  No Bible Study.  No friend gatherings.  No trips.  No hikes.

It looks bizarre.

To be honest it looks depressing.

I think that is the state I was in late last week when I switched my calendar from March to April.  I felt drained.  Disconnected.  Unmotivated.  Bored.  My heart was heavy.  I appreciated all the silly memes on social media and COVID19 songs.  Yes, there needs to be space to lighten the mood.

Pay attention to the grief and pain too.

I  know of people in the hospital suffering from this virus leaving precious loved ones at home who cannot visit them.  I know of people laid off from work and they have children they are struggling to provide for.  I know of people struggling with how to teach their children at home and utilize unfamiliar technology.  I know of people who feel lonely and disconnected.  I know of people grieving special spring events like weddings and graduations.

Today was supposed to be our annual Easter egg hunt in the park by our house. My daughter also reminded her formal (similar to be prom) would be this weekend as well.

 It is healthy and necessary to acknowledge that this whole situation plainly stinks.  This is not what we signed up for.  There are many unanswered questions even with all the information we are constantly given.

John 11:35 says, "Jesus wept."  This is a meaningful verse to me and not because it is the shortest verse in the Bible and super easy to memorize!  When Lazarus died, Jesus did not break forth into advice giving or lightening the mood.  He grieved and he wept with the family before he raised Lazarus from dead.  

He grieves and he walks with us during this time.  We have a holy comfort.  We receive a true holy comfort from Christ who promised to be with us always.  We receive a true holy comfort from someone who hears our grieving and sees our tears.  There are moments or days or even longer spans of time when we might feel like that is all we have right now.  And yet that is all we need.

Have a blessed Easter.


No comments:

Post a Comment