Thursday, April 9, 2020

Race Report #3 Social Distance 5K

For my third race of 2020 I asked my friend Emily if she wanted to do a virtual 5k with me.  We signed up for the Social Distance 5k.  We randomly picked Wednesday morning because it both worked with our schedules.  I am thankful we picked a beautiful cloudless sky morning and the temperature was perfect.

I mapped out our 5k going past our friend Karen's house and our friend Heather's house.  We ran on low traffic roads and did not have to deal with many stoplights.  The crowd support from Karen and her four kids was welcomed.  I used to watch some of them when I did in home day care and I loved seeing their smiling faces.

We ran through one of our local parks and it has beautiful wildflowers growing.  I love hiking in our state parks and venturing out to the coast this time of year.  COVID19 has kept me from doing that.  It has made me appreciate the little trails in our city parks and the beautiful flowers blooming everywhere.  Including the tulips in my own front yard.
I did not take this picture while we were racing.  I came back later to take it!


Emily and I talked about the challenges of working from home, teaching via Zoom or You Tube and dealing with children with mixed emotions including boredom.  We are grieving over cancellations and plans changing.  There is the ongoing fear of, "How much longer?"

As I noticed the beautiful bright morning, the blooming wildflowers, and the bird chirping I was reminded of Psalm 113:3 which says, "From the rising of the sun to the place where it sets, the name of the Lord is to be praised."  Life as we know it continues.  The flowering trees are starting to sprout new green leaves.  Squirrels are scurrying all over the park.  The morning light is coming earlier and the evening sun setting later.  God is here.  He is in control.  My prayer is you feel His presence during this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment