Sunday, March 29, 2020

States of Mind During the Stay At Home Ordinance

This past week I felt like my life was not much different than the indoor cat's.  Stuck at home.  Not many places to go.  Sleeping sounds good. 
Salena soaking in the sun

During this COVID-19 "stay-at-home ordinance" we fluctuate between "This is quite nice and relaxing" to "This is really frustrating...when will it end?" and "I think we've lost it."

First the positives...

  •  The kids have adapted well though they all had their moments.  Overall, they are fighting very little, finding things to do, and respecting screen time restrictions.  We only increased their screen time a little bit.
  • I have had time for previous hobbies such as playing guitar.  I was pretty consistent with it this fall but January was a mentally and emotionally strenuous month--and I lost motivation. It is nice to be working on it again.
  • I read three books in a week.
  • I am still motivated to exercise even though my gym closed.  Because I run and bike outside year round, I have still able to do the workouts I love.
  • I got back into cooking and baking.  I made chili and cornbread from scratch.  This morning I made homemade sticky buns.
First time making sticky buns
  • We have enjoyed some family movie nights and game nights.
  • I am grateful for user friendly technology.  We have been able to connect with extended family, friends, and youth groups kids via Zoom and other networking programs.
Family Zoom Session representing three states
  • I have been working on my Spanish and Rob is working on learning Dutch.
  • The slower pace has been good for my mental and emotional health.
And the challenges...

  •  All three kids miss their schools, their teachers, and their friends.  I greatly miss my preschoolers and their families.
  •  Since I cannot teach in the classroom, my whole job has changed.  I have had to think outside the box a lot.
  • Being an extrovert, being home days on end is draining and exhausting.  My temptation is to sleep way more than necessary and I have to try to keep a somewhat consistent sleep schedule.
  • Like the rest of the world, special trips and events had to be cancelled.  We don't know how long that cancellation will extend to.  June?  Later?
  • The uncertainty and all the news updates feeds my anxiety.  I listen to the news in the morning and then try to shut it off for the rest of the day.
  • At times I struggle with not being motivated.  I have all this time on my hands but I don't want to do anything.  My default mode is sleeping or scrolling on Facebook.
And the "I think we've lost it" moments which make this whole situation a little less serious and more lighthearted.
  •   I forgot my zip code the other day and said my old Michigan zip code instead (even though I have been in Oregon fifteen years)
  • We watched the movie Groundhog Day as a family.  After the movie was over and the kids went to bed, Rob and I were talking.  I said, "This is hard for me.  Each day is the same.  Day after day."  He said, "Are you talking about the movie or real life?"
  •   I played several rounds of Euchure with the computer and was yelling at the computer's choice cards he/she/it played.
  •   Rob and I watched a half hour of aerial skiing and ski jumping accidents last night on You Tube.
  •   I listened to the 1984 version of "We Are the World" while cleaning my kitchen and sang every single word.
  •  The younger two children were listening to old carnival music and pretending to be goblins.
  • The highlight of my son's day was walking to Walgreens to buy a pack of three prong wall adapters.  Which I was excited about because everyone keeps sharing the same one and I can't find it half the time.
As for the cat,  I don't think she is used to everyone being in her space all the time.  I am not quite sure whether she likes it or is a bit annoyed by it.  Maybe a mix of both.

In all seriousness, we are constantly reminded that God is in control.  May we seek to honor and glorify Him in all we do--even in our state of quarantine.

No comments:

Post a Comment