Thursday, March 19, 2020

Running Is Not Cancelled Even If Races Are!

Countless running races have been cancelled in both March and April and now more in May and even June.  Crowds, runners aligning together, used cups at aid stations etc. poses too many risks for COVID-19.  They might be able to cancel races but they cannot cancel running...at least not yet. Hopefully not at all. We can still leave our homes and go for a run. 


Even though I am an extrovert by nature, I am more of an introverted runner.  I like to run alone and I crave the solo time and the ability to be lost in my own thoughts.

The running community has gotten pretty creative when it has come to races.  I am part of a few different running and triathlon Facebook groups.  Someone's marathon got canceled so she ran 26.2 miles on her own around an indoor track!  That is serious dedication.  Another person made their own "hometown race" and asked neighbors and friends to be her cheering section and aid station.

I was supposed to run a 10K last Saturday.  My plan was do a 5K trail run with my son in April.  Those plans were thrown out the window. When I decided back in December to run ten races in 2020, I had no idea a portion of 2020 would not have any running races to participate in!

So my plan for a March race is to do "a small group run" on Friday morning.  We have been blessed with a small group at our church that has been meeting for several years.  We have seen one another through new babies added to our families, job changes, mental struggles, moving to different homes, health  concerns, and much more.  Aside from one family, we all live in the same area of town.  Which is a tremendous blessing.  When we first moved here in 2006, there were very few families from our church in our neighborhood. 

I will be running from my house to one family's house, to the next family's house and ending at another family's house.  I mapped it out and it is 6.2 miles.  I will time myself too.  Though the timing might be off because of stoplights and I was told Map My Run is not totally accurate.  I am looking forward to completing this solo race.

This is my second race of ten for 10 10 Ministries.    April's race could be just as interesting...I am already thinking of some themes.


No comments:

Post a Comment