Saturday, March 21, 2020

Race Report: Race #2 Small Group Solo 10K

Before COVID-19 I did not understand the point of running a virtual race.  Why run a race by yourself when you could race against other people and be a part of a large event?  My mind was not open to the idea until every single race for the next two months was cancelled.  And I committed to running ten races in 2020 and I do not want to run every single one in the late summer and fall.

Since March was my 10K race month, I decided to create my own virtual 10K race.  I decided my theme would be "The Small Group Run" since three out of the four families in my small group live within running distance. The other family lives in Albany approximately twenty two miles away.  Which running a virtual marathon might work if I can figure out how to get back home.

I started my race at 8 AM with my virtual gun going off in my head.  I was proud of myself that I was able to maintain more of a race pace of approximately nine and half minute miles.  The course was more than hilly than most races I run.  I ran past my first friend's house and she was out on her driveway with her sweet baby cheering me on.  I ran past her house and through one of my favorite parks we had a picnic in on Mother's Day last year.  We also went there on my birthday two weeks ago before this madness started.


 I made it to my next friend's house and she was at her front door with her preschool son cheering for me.  I love races with crowd support because it does propel you towards the finish line.  Honestly having their crowd support was enough for me this morning.  It was welcomed!

Then I ran to the last friend's house and forgot she lives at the top of a large hill.  That was not fun conquering a hill the last mile of my 10K race.  Originally when I mapped it, my 6.2 miles would end in front of her house but Map My Run told me I had 0.2 miles still to go.  I ran to Hillview Park up the street from her house and finished my race there.  Obviously I got first place!


While I ran, I listened to a playlist I created on iTunes I named, "Hope For This Time" and I listened to inspirational songs.  I listened to Chris Tomlin's song "God of the City" which I have not listened to in a very long time. This song became meaningful to me when I went on a mission trip to Philadelphia with our church in 2010.  We sang it in the worship service with the people from Philly in which we worked with.

This part of the song really struck a chord with me:

For greater things have yet to come
And greater things are still to be done in this city
Greater things have yet to come
And greater things are still to be done in this city

We have lived in our city for over thirteen years.  We have invested in this community.  We have watched our church evolve and change and minister to many people over the years.  We have said good-bye to people who left their earthly homes and we have welcomed numerous children who have grown into young men and women.  We have walked with people through tragic events.  We have waded through uncertain times that tore us apart before it brought us back together.  Not having as much connection now but still reaching out and caring for "the flock" is burdensome.  More so for my husband than for me.  Please if you have not already done so--pray for your pastor.

Someone asked me this week:  "Who is caring for the pastor if he is taking care of the flock?"  That made me think about how grateful I am for Joey and Robyn at 10 10 Ministries who checked in with us this week as well.  They have their own flock they are caring for and I am grateful to be part of that flock of ministry couples waded through this crazy time in our world.

I thought of my own job as well.  Since I started working for an agency three years ago that helps people in impoverished situations, I have seen "the other sides of the city."  I did not have as much exposure to this when I was a stay at home mom.  Since the COVID-19 epidemic hit, this portion of our city has been  hit just as hard--if not harder.  My heart breaks as I think of the needs I cannot meet.

God is the author of our hope and our salvation.  He fuels us with strength we can find right now in the midst of a tragedy.  I do not know how long this all going to last.  I wish I had a date.  A time frame.  A good estimate.  I have to limit myself from the news, statistics, and social media at times during this crisis because it feeds my anxiety.

God brings restoration.  The hope we can find in Christ is unlike any other kind of hope we can grasp on to during this time.  Greater things are yet to come.




No comments:

Post a Comment