Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Running Update: Finishing the Oregon Coast and tackling PDX Sprint

 Rob and I completed the Virtual Oregon Coast challenge on Friday.  As a team we logged 350 miles in the duathon (run/walk/bike) category.  I went 218.68 miles and Rob went 134.11.  Most of Rob's workouts were riding the stationary bike at his gym (yes, we have separate gym memberships) and he did some walks around Salem on the weekends.  He did one bike ride with me the week he ended up in the hospital with diverticulitis.  The two did not have anything to do with one another.  However, it is impressive he biked fifteen miles when he was already showing symptoms.

My online certificate from the Oregon Coast challenge

My workouts included four rides with Salem Bicycle Club, one ride with Rob, one ride with my sister while I was in Michigan, and two rides on the stationary bike at my gym.  It also included a hike up Black Butte, a hike to all ten waterfalls at Silver Falls State Park, a walk with a friend in my neighborhood and lots of running workouts.  COVID 19 affected many of our summer plans, but it has been good for all of us to look back on all the opportunities we did have.

Hike Up Black Butte

What is next?  Originally I hoped to do an Olympic distance triathlon in 2020.  I have not done anything longer than a sprint tri.  That is typically a 1/4 mile swim, 12-15 mile bike ride, and 3.1 mile run.  An Olympic distance is double that.  Why Racing, another race company in our area, is putting on the PDX 145 mile challenge.  Portland, Oregon is 145 square miles.  The challenge is to run, bike and/or swim 145 miles and it must be completed in 30 days.

This challenge is an incentive for me to keep cycling and also get back in the water and swim.  I have done only three swim workouts all summer.  I have the running down already.

Some people have been very motivated to workout during this pandemic and some have not.  I have seen the question: "How do I get motivated?" on several message boards and among people I have talked to.  There is no quick fix answer.  For me personally, running is something I do and has been a part of my life for twenty years.  I gain much from it and that alone motivates me.  I know that is not true for everyone.

What I can say is that people need to be realistic what they can do and not set their goals too high.  If you have never run before or been stagnant for a long time, start with a run/walk rhythm or even simply walking at a brisk pace.  My first workouts were ten to fifteen minutes and I ran/walked to a gas station at the end of my street.  

Find a time that works for you.  Some of us need to work out in the mornings because we lose motivation as the day goes on.  However, in the winter months I love running in the afternoons.  Take advantage of it still being light in the evenings.  When I trained for marathons when my children were little, I would put them to bed and go running when Rob was home.  Sunset runs can be very picturesque.

It has helped Rob to have his gym close to our house.  It is a very short walk up our street.  He thinks if he had to get in the car and drive somewhere, he would be less motivated.  This has allowed him to work out in the mornings and not have to get up before 6 AM or work out over his lunch without extending his lunch break.  

For myself it has helped to have some "social workouts" mixed in with solo workouts.  I have biked mostly with other people this summer.  I sometimes run with a friend though I really enjoy running alone.  Before COVID I was swimming with a group of people which is probably why I have not been as motivated to swim.  I have had to put myself out there a bit and join groups or ask people to run with me.  When you meet people who enjoy what you do, you have this natural connection.  Some fellow cyclists, runners, and triathletes I met over the years are some of the nicest and most hospitable people I have met.  I have learned a lot from them.

  


No comments:

Post a Comment