Thursday, September 3, 2020

From Summer to Fall

 We are nearing of what has felt like one of the longest summers that I can remember.  Even though COVID 19 changed the summer we were dreaming of back in January, we made the most of it.  We managed to create some special memories.  

We did many outdoor activities including exploring local places.  I do not think we would have taken the time to do this had we been traveling extensively.  We spent many...in fact most...afternoons at the pool as a family.  It always allows us to bask in the sun, open up a good book, cool off, and play water games.  This summer  in particular, it allowed us to do something normal and forget about COVID 19.  I am grateful our local pool was able to open in mid June. 

Now on to fall where "back to school" is very different.  We are extremely grateful our children's school is offering in person schooling even if it is limited.  The oldest will be going to school two hours a day but all her course work will be in person.  There are no electives yet and very few sports or activities.  But we will take what we can get.  The younger two will be in regular in person school with some COVID 19 regulations in place.  I am teaching preschool but am a float teacher.  I will be circulating between four different classrooms.  If it were not for COVID, I would have my own classroom.  I see how everything is part of His plan for the fall...and maybe into the winter and spring.  Rob is still of course dealing with opening up our church one program at a time while keeping people healthy and safe.

I failed after the ninth week of summer to take a photo for each day as my daughter had challenged me in June.  I did take quite a few photos and I am posting them in order by date with a few stories behind the pictures...

Tuesday, August 11: When the pandemic hit in March Rob and I were playing Euchure online--a Midwest game I loved playing in college.  Not many Oregonians know how to play it much less have heard of it.  Then we ventured into learning Spades which we love even more.  We play a couple nights a week.

Wednesday, August 12:  I got a new tent for Christmas.  I took the younger two camping in early August.  Then they decided to set it up again and sleep in the backyard.  They slept in it two nights in a row and attempted a third night.  They did not make it all the through and slept most of that third night in their own beds.
Thursday, August 13: When Rob and I were doing the Oregon Coast challenge I did a few rides on the stationary bike.  I tried to take a picture of my mileage so I would remember.  Guess it helps to take the picture before the numbers change.

Friday, August 14:  Derek unsuccessfully trying to get Rob out of his lawn chair at the pool


Sunday, August 16. I am slightly obsessed with huckleberries.  They are very difficult to get because they only grow on high elevation.  I am told you have to watch for bears when you pick them.  Rob somehow got me some rom a mysterious person.  He baked them into cinnamon rolls and they were amazing!
Monday, August 17:  We took one of the little girls Hailey nannies to downtown and spent some time playing near the Willamette River.  
Thursday, August 20:  One of my favorite days of the summer!  Playing in Butte Creek in Scotts Mills.  Jumping and climbing off rocks.  It was such a refreshing afternoon.
Friday, August 21:  Rob and I did an intense hike in Corvallis.  We had no idea a lot of it would be uphill.  I was not even wearing hiking or running shoes. It was still nice to get away.

Saturday, August 22:  Celebrating Rob's birthday at the Yard.  Even though I did not take a picture of Rob.  Sad.  Will need to go back and try the waffle truck Derek and Kara went to.

Monday, August 24:  Beautiful red tomatoes from the garden that Hailey took care of while the owners were on vacation.
Thursday, August 27:  Loved this "cookie dessert flight" Rob and I ordered at one of our favorite restaurants in downtown Salem.

Tuesday, September 1: Beautiful day with friends at Neskowin.  Started the summer here and ended it here.


No comments:

Post a Comment